Many of the legacy applications and software are stumped with outdated application features. This stammering leads to pulling down their business growth while another application with advanced technologies emerges into the market. As technology evolves every nanosecond, a legacy application with outdated features doesn’t reach and attract users to access the application or software.
Application modernization transforms Legacy applications into new versions, accelerating the business with upgraded features according to recent market trends. You can bypass the hurdles in modernizing Legacy applications into New Applications through this article.
Best strategies for Application modernization
Application modernization lends a hand for Legacy applications to stay free from lots of outdated constraints. There is a myth buzzing that Application modernization consumes money, time and team-related hurdles. FreeTechCafe offers the best application modernization solutions globally.
While focusing on the best strategies, an eye on failure aspects is also mandatory. Here are some of the key reasons that fail the application modernization.
- Improper training and Inadequate skills
- Lack of communication between business and technical teams
- Often changes in an organization’s hierarchical structure
- Inaccurate project expectations
- Lack of smart technologies
Here are the strategies for Application Modernization;
Coordinate the modernization efforts with business goals
Analyze the business goals based on current market trends and requirements. This practice leads to revamping the application according to customer requirements with high reliability, scalability, and performance. This transformation of legacy to modern induces business revenue.
Implement required approaches according to needs
The application modernization is primarily based on six approaches: Refactor, Rehost, Re-platform, Re architect, Replace and Rebuild. You can access any approach according to business requirements.
For instance, Refactor the high-priority application majorly for cloud migration. The rehosting approach will be practical, where the developers don’t need to change the code.
Assemble effective project timeline
Prepare a modernization timeline based on project goals, tasks, updates, and duration of revamping, deployment date. Accordingly, the team can discuss project tasks, figure out and align the priority works, and track progress.
With the help of modernizing plan tools such as GanttPro, Hive, ClickUp etc., planning the procedures will be super easy. The tools will support,
- Estimate the timeline of a project
- Specify success metrics
- Exhibit project milestones
- Tasks allocated concerned resource persons and tracking their productivity
Choose architecture for long-term sustainability
The ultimate objective of the effective architecture of an application is to integrate with other systems without any technical interruptions. In addition to ensuring scalability and security in the application.
Make a checklist for choosing architecture based on
- Make sure of the workflow or structure.
- Ignore or look for an alternative architecture if it restricts the application to any cost.
- Choose architecture that effectively works with DevOps, DataOps, Cloud and other automated procedures.
Break down as chunks to reduce the risks
Revamping the entire application or software at a stretch will be risky and exhausting. To limit the risk factors, break the process into minor chunks and prioritize the high-demand requirement.
Benefits of breaking down as chunks,
- Defragmenting the application with the different technical team according to the roles make the application deployment on time effectively.
- Model networking between the various components.
- Split the model down into its many configurations.
Utilize Software estimation models
Applications or Software definitely need updates and upgrades according to the current trends in the market changes. Most business owners believe investing one time in an application or software is enough for the entire business process. This will lead to the application or software being insecure. Modernizing the application or software increases high security, reliability and scalability, ultimately saving time.
Here are some models that enrich Application modernization
- Function Point Analysis is a standardized method to size the software product’s work functionality and what the user requests and receives in return.
- Putnam model lets the organization forecast and get the exact estimation of modernization cost.
- The Constructive Cost Model, also called the CoCoMo model, is a regression model based on lines of code used to estimate the production cost of the application.
Document the entire process
Make sure to record every report of the revamping process for future use. Document every development process detail from planning to deployment and maintain it in every phase of updates.
- Elaborate on the relevant features and required updates.
- Predefined and mark the amount of time allocated for developing of application.
- Update any changes or modifications done in the document. This documentation will enhance the exact workflow of modernization and revert for future purposes.
Speed up the tasks with automation
Prepare the modernization plan to speed up the software development lifecycle and provides value to the company in minimal time. Here are some of the keys to automating the app implementation.
DevOps is to speed up the automation and collaboration tools for quick data modifications and app delivery.
Likewise, DataOps aims to speed up the data delivery to concerned data analysts and scientists for gathering insights.
Spotting the difficulties with performance metrics
Maintaining and monitoring the application after the deployment of the application based on performance. Here are some performance metrics to scale the functionalities of the revamped application.
Response time – The amount of time to process a request and respond back
Throughput – The number of requests processed per unit of time
CPU Utilization – The CPU Percentage used by the application
Memory usage – The memory accessed by the application
Define and Train the team for specific strategies
Revamping the application doesn’t the primary factor. Access the application with proper guidance and assistance, as it has some new updated features. Adequate training is necessary for business users to avoid unwanted confusion in data access. Based on the organisation’s hierarchy, the usage and requirement will differ. The purpose of application access will vary from C-Suite executives to Quality Analysts. The guidance and training regarding the application are mandatory.
The business world is transforming from Legacy applications to Modernized applications for high robustness, security, reliability and scalability for their end-users. Though Application modernization is highly required, revamping where it requires matters. From the phase of planning to deployment, maintaining the quality of the application with updated features, documentation of the entire process, and estimating and analyzing the perfect cost for revamping are considering factors while moving to application modernization. To be precise, the ultimate objective of application modernization is to replace the major vulnerabilities, risks, threats and complexities in Legacy applications.